How do I know if I have quality cannabis seeds?
Got cannabis seeds, but you don’t know if it’s good? No problem. A few tips will help you know if your collection seeds are of good quality.
Table of Contents
- What to look for in a healthy cannabis seed
- How to test your cannabis seeds
- How to tell if a cannabis seed is male or female
- Can my cannabis seeds expire?
What to look for in a healthy cannabis seed
A quick glance at your seeds can tell you a lot. Here are a few things to look out for:
- Dark Color: Good cannabis seeds will be brown, black and / or Gray. White or green seeds are immature and unlikely to germinate. Your seed should also have scratches or spots all around
- Shiny shell: a healthy seed will have a thin waxy coating around it and appear slightly shiny
- Hard Shell: You should be able to squeeze a seed lightly without it crushing. If a seed crashes easily between your fingers, the seed is probably dead or weak and will not grow well.
- No Cracks: Inspect the entire seed to make sure there are no small cracks or holes. This will likely prevent the seed from germinating
How to test your cannabis seeds
There are also a few ways to test your cannabis seeds.
Method # 1: the flotation test
This is a great test that works for many different seeds. Take your seeds and drop them in a cup filled with lukewarm water, not too hot, then wait a few hours. If they leak, they’re probably good to go. If they are floating, they are probably dead and will not sprout.
However, the flotation test is only to be done if you are in the right position to germinate your seeds. Water saturation can cause them to mold or rot.
Test Method # 2: Germinate Your Seed
It sounds obvious, but it really is the best method. If you really want to know if a cannabis seed is capable of germinating, then go ahead and try to germinate it. The legislation of your country, for example the French law on cannabis , may nevertheless restrict this phase.
Also Read: When to harvest and how to prune cannabis?
How to tell if a cannabis seed is male or female
Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if a cannabis seed will be male or female just by looking at it or doing a simple test. If you are keen on collecting seeds that will produce female plants, you will need to purchase feminised cannabis seeds from your favourite seed bank.
Can my cannabis seeds expire?
The short answer is yes, but if you store your seeds properly, they can remain viable for several years. Humidity, UV degradation and extreme temperatures can still affect the quality of your seeds.
If you plan to store your seeds for a long time, be sure to store them in an airtight container in a dark place. Ideally, seeds should be stored in an area with stable temperature, such as inside your home rather than in a shed or garage.