Last Wednesday was held in Brussels the final of the Research Awards for Cannabis in European award of excellence intended to reward and motivate European students to carry out work on the Cannabis plant as part of their European higher education course.
10 applications were reviewed in two different categories – CBD in pharmacy and the social issue of hemp – before a jury of 8 professionals, including Newsweed, elected the 2 winners.
The RACE is organized by the CBD Foundation and sponsored by CBX Medical.
The 10 files
In the pharma category:
- Development and in vitro evaluation of cannabidiol-based formulations administered orally by Ilias El Meziani
- Albumin based nanoparticles for delivery in cancer Treatment by Mandana Heron
- New approaches in the treatment of Gilles de la Tourette syndrome by Manon Van Caekenberghe
- New perspective in the treatment of schizophrenia by Ozdemir Timur
- Cannabis for Medical Use and Parkinson’s by Charlotte La Diega
In the Hemp Social Challenge category:
- Medical supervision of therapeutic and recreational cannabis in France: a priority public health issue? by Tristan Mahé
- Technical and economic study on the cultivation route of two varieties of industrial hemp for the production of CBD and CBG by Arthur Libault
- Cannabis use interrelations: lessons in market design by Davide Fortin
- Medical cannabis in the treatment of anxiety in adults: literature review by Dimitri Allard Demoustiez
- Evaluation of the eligibility of industrial hemp as candidate pant for the remediation of PFAS contaminated soils by simon vandersanden
The 2 winners
After deliberation by the jury, the 2 winners were designated:
Pharmacist Timur Ozdemir won the Pharma category for his analysis of the potential of cannabidiol (CBD) in the treatment of schizophrenia.
Simon Vandersanden, PhD student, won the Social Challenge category thanks to his work on the ability of hemp plants to extract Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) from soils, and the compartments of plants that store PFAS.
The 2 winners each won the sum of €2,500.
The next edition of the RACE competition will take place in 2024.